Thursday, November 30, 2006

Reflection at Hong Kong Day 3

Today, I realised why so mnay studnets in Singapore found it difficult to understand physical geography and especially map reading. This is because Singapore's relief is flat with a small hill of about 100m at Bukit Timah.

Here in Hong Kong, it is surrounded by hills. That is what Kowloon means. Nine Dragrons refering to the nine hills arounding Hong Kong Island. I managed to take sometime off to see the PEAK. A tourist attraction where I can see the whole of Hong Kong but the view was not clear. Could be due to the haze or the mist. I also saw alot of ridges and vellys and inter-locking spur.

When I attended the conference dinner, I met a very progressive educator all the way from ..... Singapore. She was the main driver for the homeroom system and explianed to me why it was successful in her school.

In the mornig, I could not sleep and wrote an article about caning. Glad that it was published and I have posted it.(To my children you know what to do with the black file right? Bel I am refereing to you)


I brought three pairs of boots one for myself and two for my daughters. I must thanked them for helping to transfer money into my account so that I can survive in Hong Kong. After tomorrow conference ends, I will go to Shenzhen to look see look see.

Of course you can expect me to use what I have seen in Social Studies.



Attending this conference has allowed me to see how different countries trained teachers, how education has changed over time. A keynote addressed that impressed me was given by Jane Gilbert from New Zealand. She gave reasons why ITC is not working in many school all over the world. This is because knowledge is still seen as a noun something to rememeber, use it in the exam and then throw it away. She proposed that we see it as a verb . Think about that !!! What does it means? Powerful ? Right?

I will not have internet access until I come back to Singapore . So have a great day

No comments: