Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Ess on Socratic Questioning


To all my ex-students in Catholic High, Serangoon and Mayflower,

Thanks to all the questions that you have asked in class, I am going to Hong Kong next week (Monday to Friday) for a conference.


The Asia Pacific Educational Research Association International Conference 2006
Educational Research, Policy, and Practice in an Era of Globalization:
The Asia Pacific Perspectives and Beyond
28-30 November 2006


Yes, unknown to all my classes, I have been doing a research on how well students in my class can think. Although I have my views, I would like to seek your views, your feedbacks on this method.

You know: where I do not bring textbooks to class, make you all sit in a circle, and make you all ask questions. If not, I will not say anything.

Be as honest as you can. The impacts, both positive and negative. It is all part of the learning process.

If I have the money, I would love to bring some of you all there. But being as poor as I am (sigh), I can only show them your comments. Drop it in the comment slot. I will also show them your response if there is internet access there.

(Hope there is. Then I will keep you all updated as the days go by in Hong Kong.)

If 5 people are interested in the paper that I have written for this conference, I will post it on this blog.

Thank you.

The Ess making an Ess of herself. What fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in the contents that you will be presenting. Umm...the if the 5 ppl want you post. I want. I will keep in contact if you need to share resources.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Ess!!

So did you get your jacket back in the end? =)

I will be glad to be one of the 5 people!! anyway I want to read it. =)

Will miss you lots!! You really meade an impression on me. I find that the Socratic method id very useful. It stimulates deeper thinking. One question will lead to anotehr and another and another.. So in the end a lot of questions will surface, and the topic will eventually be covered over a wide range of issues. =) Ergo, we will gain from the session!! And it's so fun to shoot question and result in a debate between classmates. A battle of the minds will ensue! How cool. =)

I will miss you lots ok. You must remember me too!! And the very first question i asked you.. LOL. So farnee. =)

Ok then. Cya around! Take care =)

NiGeL

MOS said...

Of course I will remember you Nigel "Power" father of Austin.:-)

Yes I got my jacket . Brought it to malaysia for the staff retreat and now in Hong Kong for the Conference

But sorry I really cannot remmeber the first question you asked me.

Wish me luck.
Thank you for your comments . Am going t use it at the conference as usual.