Monday, August 14, 2006

REAL GIFTS OF A ROAD WARRIOR PARENTS

This year's theme for the National Day Parade, "Our Global City, Our Home," forces me to reflect on one aspect of globalisation that often has a silent but salient impact on our future: Our children.

As a result of our effort to embrace globalisation, many of us have to travel overseas often as road warriors. When I travel, I often feel guilty leaving my children behind. I am frequently tempted to buy their permission to go overseas with promises of bringing exotic gifts back.

I know of one road warrior who habitually returns with expensive gifts for his son to make up for his absence from home.

Bringing back gifts per se isn't the problem — it is when we replace or substitute ourselves with gifts that will have an impact on our children. They will end up looking at us as nothing more than a perpetual Santa Claus, and soon they will look forward to our gifts instead of us coming back.

Encouraged to be materialists, they will end up demanding more expensive presents each time we leave. And some of us will find it a convenient and small price to pay to occupy our children's time leaving us — when we get home — alone to rest and recuperate.

How do we get back to focusing on developing our relationships with our children and our spouse, instead of treating them as an optional extra in our life?

I remember once, my husband left 40 handwritten post-it notes with the words "I love you" all over the house for me to discover. Why 40? That was the number of days he was away from home.

When he goes to places where the postal service is not that regular, he would leave letters pre-written before his trip for me to read to the children before they go to sleep.

My husband and I try to take turns to go overseas so that at least one parent is at home with the children. The one who stays at home will have the fun of keeping the memory of the travelling parent alive for them. We'd write letters, make postcards, draw pictures or create gifts for the returning parent.

With Internet messenger, SMS and email, we find it easier to maintain an open channel of communication with our children. Only recently did I learn to use Internet messaging with some difficulty and I discovered a different but instantaneous way of keeping in touch with my children.

Establishing family culture helps our children to stay rooted to the family. Like many in Singapore, my husband and I are working and thus, find it difficult to be with them regularly.

We have often heard that it is not the quantity of time that we spend that is important, but the quality time that we have with them.

But what is quality time?

Spending time at the shopping centre buying more presents, or eating at fancy and expensive restaurants? Yes, these can be instances of quality time as long as our children have our undivided attention.

For us, we prefer alternative rituals like ice cream parties at home, midnight supper walks, or a regular visit to Chinatown where we eat the famous fish porridge.

Whether we are stay-at-home or auto-roaming parents, we have to remember that if we do not act as our children's confidantes, companions and confessors, they will find others to take our place — and we will lose any influence over their behaviour.

But being there for them, in the real sense of the term, is not something one can just suddenly do overnight. It is the little actions we do over a long period of time that add up.

In my course of work as a teacher, I often meet lonely students who long and pine for their parents who are often too busy to spend time with them. Some students end up being withdrawn, some end up finding support and companionship with gangs, while others end up using gifts and money to buy friendship.

As road warrior parents, perhaps it is time to reflect on the type of relationship that we have with our children.

Are we just satisfied with being their ATM? The choice is ours.

The writer has recently taken a tentative step to blog (fohl.blogspot.com) in the hope that it will make her look hip with her teenager children.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a big fan of your articles. I always cut up your articles and paste in my precious scrapbook.
Your invaluable sharing has enlightened me and I get encouragement from reading the articles.
Like u, I am an educator in an all girls school and just received my long service award for 15 yrs.
I have been married for 18 years and a mother of 3 boys ranging from 4 years old to 15 years old.
Please take care and a big THANK YOU.

MOS said...

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am glad that I am not alone in this world.

Anonymous said...

i tink u look hip even without the blog... haha... i think ur articles are great... i have another comment in the previous post...bye..

Mockingbird said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mockingbird said...

Hi Frances,

Do you get paid for your articles that get published on TODAY?

You write very well. Your articles are full of insights and substance.

Keep up the good work.

Your fan,
Mick

MOS said...

dear qayyum
Just visted your blog. Now I know who you are. you are the class mate of qashn right ? So sorry too many students How did the two of you get to my blog?

So you are in love so happy for you.
remember be good, be happy be gone

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs Ess, haha bet you won't be able to guess who am I. Anyway I was taught by you before and I graduated from Serangoon Sec in 2004. Must be wondering how I came to know about your blog right? When you wrote your first article in TODAY 1 year ago, you signed off as Frances Ess and thus I sort of guessed its you. Anyway, I have been following all your articles and just want to say that I have changed my opinion of you (for the better), as compared to the time when you were my Humanities teacher. Still wondering who am I? Hint: I was from class 4EA and I am dead sure you didn't have a good impression of me back than too. Haha happy guessing!

MOS said...

Hi 4ea, I really do not know who you are. I hope you can send me a pic to refresh my memory. Yes I do not blame you for not having a good opinion of me then. I tend to push too far at time. If I have hurt you I am sorry. Thank you for your kinds words.

Anonymous said...

haha, thanks for the comment from below... actually i am not doing that well, i wanted to go design school [either fashion or interior design] but now i am doing something else, but well, i am coping well... this course is kinda cool too, i can get a job in the IR... and btw, i am in TP's debate squad now... haha... i'll be back :)...

Anonymous said...

Haha well alright does the name Fiona ring a bell? Do you still remember the time you met my mum and I in the church of the holy spirit (the temporary location that is)? Anyway, just to update you, I am currently taking diploma in hospitality and tourism management in TP. I quit JC studies after a year in Nyjc as I realise that my passion lies in the tourism industry. Anyway, I am doing well in my poly studies now and I sincerely hope that you are doing well too in Mayflower Sec. Well seriously speaking, your constructive critism to me back than came as a blow to me, but it sort of motivated me to push my limits to acheive considerably good grades in order to prove you wrong. I still remember the time when you came up to me and said "hah your mum would surely be proud of you", right after I was announced as among the top 5 students. Hah its a blessing in disguise indeed!

MOS said...

Hi Fiona, great to hear from you . I remember you now. I met your motehr and you both at SFX. I am glad you have teh courage to take charge and change your course of study. Yes I am having fun in Mayflower.

MOS said...

dera fiona now I rememebr I saw you at St P. sorry got mix up Have a good day

Anonymous said...

Haha no wonder! I was thinking since when did I see you at SFX? yea have a great weekend ahead! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my conversation with you yesterday. As I mentioned, and would like to reinforce, you have a creative way to coach and guide your students, and you should be absolutely proud of it. Note that I used 'coach and guide', not 'teach'!

Please persevere on in your belief and guide generation X/Y/Z to think out of the box, to be far-sighted.

Reading your article, I also noted the conflicting roles you have to play, i.e., being a mother and an educator. We are constantly learning and perfecting the art of balancing our lives. It is indeed challenging. Hence, I will leave you with this quote from Lord Chesterfield: Persist and persevere, and you will find most things that are attainable, possible.

MOS said...

Dear Rochelle
Thank you for sharing so much with me and thus allowing me to learn from you. It is through this that I aim to prepare my students for the working life. Hope to see you soon