Friday, November 5, 2010

Spare the rod


My youngest son Anicius, 5, stole a piece of fruit cake. When confronted, he denied that he had done so. Instead he said that his sister Ariel stole the fruit cake.

For this 'crime" he was caned the following times

1. Ten cuts of the rattan for nearly getting his elder sister into trouble
2. Another ten cuts for "arrowing" his sister
3 And finally the last ten cuts for lying.

At each session, it was explained to him why he was caned.

Of course it broke my heart to cane him.

Of course as an educator I would rather use the softer method of counseling, reasoning etc the list of humanistic psychology which Harvey C Bunke describe so accurately as the non judgmental approach in which standards of right and wrong are discarded and the individual is urged to determined his own pattern of behaviour... each must must decided for himself what is right and wrong.

But I have no intention of bringing up my children who does not know right from wrong.

Ultimately, I rather that we parents do the caning rather then wait for the prison or the court to do so.


This article was inspired by what I have read from this blog below
http://uncledicko.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-wrong-not-to-know-whats-wrong.html?showComment=1288887783766#comment-c6478710333698343843

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Ess,

I truly agree with you and the way you have taught your kids. Thanks for sharing. We need many more of you in our society!
Love reading your blog!
Blessed day,
mum to 4kids